Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
My ongoing '60 project EmptyMy ongoing '60 project Line_b11My ongoing '60 project Empty 
Hellafast
My ongoing '60 project EmptyMy ongoing '60 project Line_b11My ongoing '60 project Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

My ongoing '60 project

Go down 
+15
Chris P.
U B BUGN
jeff68
panther
Volkswagenista
baja69
tricksuzu
Charlie Brown
muddobber
MadMike
Dave
Hellaslow
K1
Be Jeweled
the-jerm
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

My ongoing '60 project Empty
PostSubject: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/7/2009, 2:07 pm

OK, I figured I would start a thread to follow the work I do to my bug and to prove I actually own a VW Laughing

I present to you Gertrude, my 1960 ragtop bug. I named her after my late grandma who's actual name was Betty. My wife used to call her Gertrude when we dated in high school. Here's some pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/7/2009, 2:26 pm

She really doesn't look too bad from the pics but trust me, that paint is hiding a world of hurt. From what I can tell, she was originally an ohio car. Being an ohio car, you can guess how much rust she aquired. The original owner had alot of patch work done to her but it wasn't the best of work. Apparently, he rear ended another car and put a year incorrect front apron on. At some point, the car was updated with newer year turn signals and tail lights. It is my intent to bring her back to the condition she deserves.
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc
Be Jeweled

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/7/2009, 2:33 pm

O Jerm she is a beut! I am glad u have proven that u own a vdub. She def looks a lot better than mine from the outside. Can't wait to read more on the thread.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/7/2009, 5:37 pm

I like her Smile
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 10:05 am

My friend and I purchased a 1959 beetle awhile back. The intent is for me to pull the parts I need off of it for Gertrude. Once i'm finished, he's rebuilding the '59 and Installing a Subaru engine in it. It needs alot of work!

I spoke with my welder / fabricator this weekend. He is getting started on the resto of the donor four tab hood and custom glove box that will house my touch screen DVD / CD player. I'm pulling all of the needed lighting off of the '59 soon to start bringing them back to life for the '60. If all goes well, I will be recieving a convertible deck lid from N. Carolina. Once everything is ready, we'll shoot some paint and install. I CAN"T WAIT!!
Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 1:14 am

i'll help you get it back to og...

sell me the roof rack... sence it didn't come with it in 60...

Wink
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 9:45 am

Not necessarily goin' OG with her. My intent is to bring the lighting back to the year correct pieces they should be. Not the big ones on there now. Apron's getting swapped as well. One of the PO's before me (I'm third owner) took a sawzall to the apron to enlarge the bumper holes to allow room for the over rider supports Mad Its "custom" Rolling Eyes I'm keeping with the "resto custom" theme. I lowered her and intend on lowering more once the stereo equipment is in. Everything inside will have a stock feel to it at first glance. The roof rack stays (nice try though Wink ) to hold an old metal cooler (for soda :^&: ), an ammo box full of tools, and old luggage for transporting parts. I picked up some fog lights and a third brake light at bug jam that will soon be installed.
Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 7:19 pm

what size tires are you running front and back?

f_ 135 or 145?
r_ 195?
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 11:02 am

Front - 135's
Rear - 165's (They look alot bigger)
Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 6:29 pm

165 ? 15
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 12:24 pm

Uh, sure (I'm drawing a blank). I'll check for ya.

Anyone know any locals that offer narrowed beams? I'm talking with some companies out west that offer full packages with disc brakes but I would love to help keep the local scene going (and help me with less shipping cost Wink ).
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/11/2009, 3:12 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! Gertrude rides again! I replaced the rear brake shoes and drums, clamps that hold the axle boots on (the ones that came with the kit were crap and stripped out). Topped off the tranny fluid and took her for a spin. I missed driving my bug. I noticed the battery isn't holding a charge very well so i'm going home to install a Optima yellow top and give her a much needed bath. We have an event to attend tomorrow My ongoing '60 project 528361
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/11/2009, 6:41 pm

Congrats!

How bad do the front tires rub on your car?
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/11/2009, 9:03 pm

It rubs pretty good. I plan on installing a narrowed beam and disc brakes soon so I can go a little lower Twisted Evil
You can definately tell right now when the tank is full and there is a passenger with me.

We'll, she's had her bath. I'll post some picks of tomorrows show.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/11/2009, 10:13 pm

Awesome! I know that's exciting for ya. Can't wait to see her.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 7:49 pm

the car looks good can't wait to have my 60 up and running nice to see another 60 running around
Back to top Go down
Charlie Brown
1791cc
1791cc
Charlie Brown

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/14/2009, 9:49 pm

Jerm! Dude, stoked your got your 60' back up and running! Looking good, buddy. What did you decide to for a front end set up?
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 9:28 am

Going with either an Airkewld or Old Speed narrowed beam with discs. Just waiting til after the holidays to get it. CHARLIE, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!? I was getting a little worried you sold the bug for another bike Laughing
Back to top Go down
Charlie Brown
1791cc
1791cc
Charlie Brown

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 6:47 pm

Ha-ha! I've been about half tempted to sell one of the bugs for some bikes! At least bikes are a little more dependable! Naw, I felt bad for not making a show and kinda just ducked out for a few. I'm back, let's cruise.
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc
tricksuzu

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 10:52 pm

slacker hehe I didnt even notice you were gone hehe but I too have been slacking or rather working so I have missed some too aghhhh I'm so ready to cruise too
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 9:25 am

Get your Golden Ticket for the show on the pier Charlie! Thats up in your area so if you don't show we wont have to go far to drag you out of the house Laughing
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 9:46 am

Update time. I have ordered a disc brake kit with drop spindles and a sertentine belt system from CB Performance and a 4" narrowed beam from Franklins VW. The prices were very good (thanks Charlie). Now its the long wait for them to be shipped from way out west. I have been throwing around ideas on how to install my third brake light and I wanted to get everyones opinion. I found this setup and still don't know if thats the way I want to go. Tell me what you think:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The light pictured is a 7" diameter. Mine is only 5" and does not say stop.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 10:41 am

Haha! Now that's a brake light. If somebody can't see that they're blind.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:01 am

Thats just it. The snowflakes that came on the '60 are so hard to see that having something like that . . . well, saves your ass.
Back to top Go down
baja69
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
baja69

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:07 am

You could also try to mount something inside the back window
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc
Be Jeweled

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:10 am

I like the back window idea!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:15 am

The only problem with mounting a light like that in the back window is the reflection against the back window. That is why most of the third brake lights you see there have a cowling that forms to the window. There's always the option of mounting it on the bumper bracket.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:30 am

Put a LED strip inside the grill since they have real bright ones now Cool
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:32 am

Already have the 5" Bosch. I thought about the LED's but I ended up going with this for the older look.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:37 am

if you have a roof rack, I'd mount that light off of it, that way it won't look too out of place.

The problem is you want the light up high, and unless you do it inside, there isn't many spots up high on a bug.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:42 am

I was considering the roof rack actually. Any ideas on how to route the wires without drilling into the roof?
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime1/22/2010, 11:46 am

I'd say if you kept the wires as short as possible, loomed them good, then just ran them down into behind the engine decklid, that would look clean. Use small pieces of double sided tape to hold it in the rain gutter maybe. I would think that would look pretty clean.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/7/2010, 11:44 am

Update time: Gertrude is resting while I take care of a list of problems on her. First is the brakes . . . I have none! While coming up to a red light, the brake pedal went to the floor and I pulled the e-brake to avoid a minivan Shocked I believe the master cylinder is to blame as I found a good amount of moisture on the pan around it. No big deal as I need to convert to a dual circuit to run disc brakes anyways so I guess it was good timing (Except it happened before I got to eat sushi in Brandon. Sorry London!)
Second is the engine. I pulled it to take care of a strange oil leak. The engine is covered with a light coat of oil and the air filter that the breather is connected to is NASTY. I believe the engine isn't getting the correct "positive pressure" due to the aftermarket air filters and is causing minute leaks throughout the engine. Crazy thing is, the oil level never seams to drop in the engine. Its a new 1641 from Fisher that is finally through its break in stage so I will tighten everything down and degrease it while its out. This will also give me the opportunity to clean up the engine compartment a little.
Last but not least, my narrowed beam, drop spindles, and disc brakes arrived. I think I have enough to keep me busy!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 11:15 am

Question:

I found the intake manifolds for my dual 34 Webbers to be quite loose. Could that have anything to do with the oil spray on the engine? I've been reading about positive crankcase ventilation and how, if not set up correctly, the engine can "breath backwards" causing oil leaks. Has anyone else had issues like this or am I looking at this incorrectly?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Brown
1791cc
1791cc
Charlie Brown

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 1:11 pm

Jeremy, feel the back of your crank pulley. See if that oil is coming from behind that and slinging all over your engine. Do you run a crank case breather? Your loose intake manifold shouldn't have anything to do with your oil leak issues. Your engine should have been running like crap because of the intake leak...running lean.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 3:19 pm

I noticed recently it was a bitch to start up and keep running and idle. My breather is tied into the passenger air filter which is why I asked about the loose intake. I'm going to go through it and tighten everything down. It just seemed odd that ALL of the engine had a light coat of oil including the back of the fan shroud.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:48 am

I was able to spend a little time this week with the ol bug. I removed the deck lid to install some quick release hinge pins to make working on the engine easier.

I also started stripping the lining out of the engine compartment. The board and insulation came off pretty well but the insulation was foil backed and a good amount of the foil was left stuck to the body. Anyone know of a chemical remover to use that will get rid of the foil without affecting the paint?
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 10:17 am

do your quick disconnect hinges still allow the use of the spring? If so, I'd like some more information on them.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 5:17 pm

I'm really not sure as I HATE that spring. My guess is that it could be used but would be annoying to deal with everytime you take the lid off. One of my reasons for getting the pins was to be able to remove the one thing thats always in the way when you're playing with the engine. The spring helps keep it up and kind of out of your way but not fully. In case you're interested, they're made by Bugpack and carried at Fisher Buggies. I think they cost around $16.00 and are easy to install. Getting the deck lid on and off now is a snap. I'm quite pleased with them.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime3/9/2010, 9:45 am

I'm still a little stumped as to where the oil was comming from but I can say that damn near every nut on that engine was loose. I guess i'll chaulk this one up to the break in period. Got the carbs rebuilt and painted gloss black. They definately look better than that dingy grey they were. Haven't had much time to do anything else with it. Right now, the engine is "mocked up" on a stand in my garage. I find myself looking in the garage quite often now. Mad
Back to top Go down
Volkswagenista
1600cc
1600cc
Volkswagenista

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 12:14 pm

very nice ragtop, man.
I have a brand new set of douglas wheels with new tires that would loke awsome on your car.[img][/img] Razz
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 1:02 pm

I appreciate the offer but I plan on keeping the stock rims . . . for now Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 7:50 pm

Update time. Got the fog lights installed and wired, engine's put back together and waiting to be installed, and the four tab hood and vert decklid came back from the painter. Oh, and I got the master out and painted everything pan under the gas tank.

In order to make it to the festivities this coming weekend, I have to change the axle boots, install the engine, install the master cylinder, and install the narrowed front end. No prob, right? crackup
Back to top Go down
Volkswagenista
1600cc
1600cc
Volkswagenista

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 8:51 pm

Cheeese, seems that you are gonna be a little busy this week!.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/26/2010, 8:45 am

You can do it! My bug didn't have a motor put together or in the car, no tuning done, brakes had yet to be installed, wiring sorted, body parts to be put on etc a week before the picnic. I made it and have been driving it with no issues since then. If you want it bad enough you CAN get it done, it just takes late nights and the help of a friend or two.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/26/2010, 9:22 am

I'm pretty sure it will be ready for the weekend just so long as I don't find any other issues. Two years ago, I wouldn't be sweating it but having 20 month old twins can change that a bit. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/26/2010, 9:24 am

Yeah, I hear you man. I wish I was closer to you, I tend to do stupid things like get cars driving a week before an event HAHA
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime4/26/2010, 11:03 am

I just hope I have enough time to give her a bath. She's been sitting on the side of the house for a couple of months and it shows Shocked Might have to wake up super early saturday to get her back to lookin purty.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime6/4/2010, 12:00 am

The engine is in and runs! Thanks for your help Muddobber! I attempted to bleed the brakes today. When I got into the car to pump the brakes, I heard a weird squishy noise. Thinking the only thing it could be was the rubber boot on the master cylinder, I kept going. Eventually, I ran the res dry and still could not get the fluid to the rear of the car. That's when it dawned on me. I got out of the car, reached down and pulled the carpet on the floor board back to find a pool of brake fluid surrounding a deteriorated brake line My ongoing '60 project 749324

Has anyone here ever swapped the brake line that goes from the master cylinder, down the middle of the car to feed the rear? It doesn't look too difficult, just time consuming.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime6/4/2010, 12:52 am

Its not too bad, but unless you buy a custom length line, you won't be able to do it with one piece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My ongoing '60 project   My ongoing '60 project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My ongoing '60 project
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next