Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! EmptyNow that it's running great, I've got to change something! Line_b11Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Empty 
Hellafast
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! EmptyNow that it's running great, I've got to change something! Line_b11Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Empty
PostSubject: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime12/16/2012, 9:11 pm

Now that the 1914 is running the way I expected it to, I just have to add something else so here is the plan,

I have a T-25 turbo with internal waste gate, "Brand new"

Going to modify my header with a T25 flange,and have it re ceramic coated along with a exhaust down pipe.

Plan is to modify the 40 IDF with CB's turbo emulsion tubes and do a blow through set up.

Not looking to make 10 lbs of boost here, the engine is not set up for it, "I actually would be happy with 3 or 4 lbs of boost" at this point until I upgrade the Baja to a type 2 trans.

Not sure about the fuel system, but I would think 3 lbs of fuel pressure cant be forced into a carb with 5lbs of pressure ,so I think an electric fuel pump and a boost referenced fuel regulator will be needed. "Need to do more checking on that"

Plan on limiting advance to 28 degrees

And I'm not sure what will be needed for jetting, "I have lots of research to do"

At this point I'm basically looking for 25 or so xtra horsepower, and the exhaust sound from the turbo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. santa
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime12/17/2012, 9:05 pm

are you using electronic ignition? you could lock it out at 29 to 32 deg that should work from what I have heard. A J Sims is a good person to talk to about that set up. that is who I have talked to he knows quite a bit about different turbo set ups.
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime12/17/2012, 10:31 pm

Thanks for the info, I will call low budget and see what he thinks.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime12/19/2012, 10:59 pm

you can even talk to terry at sundance he knows quite a bit about the turbo stuffsssss lol
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 10:09 pm

Ok most everything is on the way, Looks like the turbo oil and drain hoses are the last items I will need, modified the internal waste gate to start to open at 3 lbs,once everything is together I can fine tune it from there. I have to figure out where to get a 060. orifice though for the feed line. Due to the fact the turbo was a "New" freebie, if this plan comes together I should have less than 350.00 in the whole set up,with all new parts including the BOV. Cant wait to start putting this stuff together.
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/12/2013, 10:15 am

The parts are starting to arrive, I'm going to wait until the beginning of February to start the conversion, that way I will be able to drive the car to Quaker Steak show on Jan 20th. I plan on taking lots of pictures of the conversion showing the steps in converting over to a home built turbo set up.

Here are the parts I have bought for the conversion

CB Performance

IDF pressure cover for a low profile 356 Porsche "left side"
IDF Turbo emulsion tubes
Pressure cover mounting kit and seal.

Other parts ordered or that I had on hand

T25 style small turbo " New IHI"

T25 mounting flange "E Bay"

Cone K&N filter for turbo 3"

RS style blow off valve

#4 AN turbo feed fitting with .060 orifice

Modified Russel fuel pressure regulator, "Now boost sensitive"

New fuel pump rod and stand "To modify thinner to raise the mechanical fuel pumps pressure to 7 psi if possible" If this doesn't work out a Holley blue pump will be purchased.

Boost gauge for dash

New "Raw" U bend collector to cut and mount the flange to.

I need to wait until everything is mounted to buy the 90 degree air tube with BOV flange, and exhaust parts.

I will get some pics posted of the parts soon.

I scored big time on the turbo "Free" but if you already have the header looks like you could put this blow through kit together for less than 500.00 "With an Ebay turbo" on a Baja set up, a draw through set up is higher cost because the turbo needs a more expensive seal.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/12/2013, 7:57 pm

got to love getting parts in.
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/17/2013, 10:30 pm

Got the flange back from S&S Welding in Seffner today they did an awesome job of strengthening it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are some of the other parts

Can't wait to get this thing together!
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/22/2013, 6:51 am

Mocked everything up today to get an idea of the piping needed, "I think this is going to look sick!"

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/22/2013, 4:33 pm

I think you're right!
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/23/2013, 11:16 am

Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime1/27/2013, 9:51 am

Turbo is mounted,just waiting on the intake charge piping and hoses, oiling system seems to be working fine,dumped the 1/2" drain back into the oil fill tube and looks like it flows well with a .060 restriction. Car starts and runs with the turbo emulsion tubes and pressure hat in place. We are getting rid of the mechanical fuel pump and changing over to a 140 GPH electric with a 1:1 boost referenced regulator, I'm afraid the mechanical pumps 5 psi max may be a problem if the boost spikes to 6 psi or so. Working on the ignition advance until the other parts come in.
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime2/19/2013, 7:14 am

Pics got all screwed up on Photo bucket,trying to figure it out. Turbo is up and running and running really well, having to adjust the waste gate some more want to get the boost in the 7 psi range right now it's about 10 psi. Advance is limited to 25 degree's,and the blow through set up is a little rich on the bottom end but I kind of expected that. Only got into boost one time at the top of second gear and the car pulled so hard I couldn't believe it. Thinking of getting it on a chassis dyno to get all the tuning right. Here are a couple new pic's

I'm going to try and tune it in a little more before really driving the car.

And if your wondering "I didn't use tape on the intake boots" LOL
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime2/21/2013, 11:27 pm

looks good. I like the blue tape better than the bland hose clamps lol
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 12:40 am

Are you selling the Dual Carb set-up you had before? That thing looks Sick as HE!!.....
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am

Sorry carbs are already sold, "We are so happy with the turbo set up,the car is soooo much smoother!" Need to put it on a chassis dyno to see how much I can lean it out it's pretty fat, but with the better boost gauge I bought this weekend it seems I ended up with 6 psi of boost at 5000 RPM.

I had the chance to meet Chris P at the Fisher show Saturday, " Enjoyed talking with him"

Here is a short video of the car warming up "It's really,really cold natured with the single carb.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!   Now that it's running great, I've got to change something! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
Page 1 of 1