Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
I may need to open my engine EmptyI may need to open my engine Line_b11I may need to open my engine Empty 
Hellafast
I may need to open my engine EmptyI may need to open my engine Line_b11I may need to open my engine Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

I may need to open my engine

Go down 
+3
the-jerm
s2kguy17
K1
7 posters
AuthorMessage
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

I may need to open my engine Empty
PostSubject: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime9/11/2009, 10:05 pm

Well after going to Ocala I've notice my oil pressure has dropped a lot and this sucks big time I may need to open my engine 749324 I think it could be rod bearing issues. The oil pressure was running around 25 psi when cursing now it has dropped to 10 psi cursing. I have never opened a VW engine before so this should be a whole lot of fun censor
Back to top Go down
s2kguy17
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 1:14 am

I dunno if you opened up your engine yet or not but not that big of a deal,really simple engines..let me know if you need any advice...
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 10:56 am

s2kguy17 wrote:
I dunno if you opened up your engine yet or not but not that big of a deal,really simple engines..let me know if you need any advice...
Thanks the big thing is when I open the case I don't know what I will be looking for plus I don;t have a shop or that many tools so I'm very limited what I can do , Thanks for any help you can offer
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 11:04 am

Have you checked the pump to make sure there's nothing happening there? You're not loosing oil, are ya?
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 11:39 am

Yup I did and put a new one on it same thing
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc
tricksuzu

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 1:02 pm

did you drain your oil and see if you have shavings from the bearing??
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 6:01 pm

the oil is clean
Back to top Go down
s2kguy17
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 7:19 pm

there is an oil check valve is what i call it under the left side of the engine by the oil pump..its a round flat head screw take it out check the spring and piston see if its stuck or not that can mess up your oil pressure...if your still having problems pm me i do major and minor repairs..

jon
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 7:56 pm

s2kguy17 wrote:
there is an oil check valve is what i call it under the left side of the engine by the oil pump..its a round flat head screw take it out check the spring and piston see if its stuck or not that can mess up your oil pressure...if your still having problems pm me i do major and minor repairs..

jon
I do have the adjustable screw and heavy spring and the screw is all the way in
Back to top Go down
TRIKERTROY
1600cc
1600cc
TRIKERTROY

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 8:54 pm

That is a pressure releaf valve that bleeds off excess oil pressure , mainly when starting a cold engine. Its not likely to be your problem...
I think you may be jumping the gun on tearing down you engine. When you do you will be looking for wear on the bearings. You will need a micromoter to gage the crank or take it to a VW engine builder like Ken Baggerly or Larry Olsen. They most likely do that way cheap or free..
I suggest that you keep on driving but keep an eye on your pressure for further lowered pressure..
Most people dont have that oil pressure gage, and dont worry about it until the dash light comes on.
One more thing,, Grab ahold of the crank pully and push it in and out, hard. You shouldnt feel it move,, I think the endplay spec is around .014, which is damn small..[b]
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 9:22 pm

Ken is the one that built the engine... The end play is with in specs . I started out with about 25 psi cursing and 11 at idle when hot now it's down to 11 cursing and darn near nothing while idle this really sucks because I wanted to take it to Jingle Bugs Rocks
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 7:21 pm

Yup it's official I gotta open it now . I pulled my oil sump to find 2 large pieces of metal that can be put together to make something that some kind of shaft went into. I have the engine down to the block with pistons sticking out . Now I am building a engine stand so I can get it off the floor. I guess Sunday is the day I will open the case to see what broke more the likely I will need a new case This really sucks I may need to open my engine 45157
Back to top Go down
TRIKERTROY
1600cc
1600cc
TRIKERTROY

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 8:43 pm

[b]Man that does truely suck..there is only a few shaft like things in there.. I wonder what you will find..
I dont use my engine stands anymore,, I use a barrel.. and to hold the case half I use a milk crate.. Iv built hundereds of engines and its just quicker and easier to set up instead messing with an engine stand..(but they work good too) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 11:54 pm

Dand I was out of milk crates but I did have some square tubing that was a roof rack for the van so now its my new engine stand cheers well I still need to make the part that bolts to the engine case
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 1:39 am

OK here is the reason I had to open my engine and the oil pressure dropped to low for my liking
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
so off with the tins
carbs out of here
rockers
Heads
Cylinders and the to the floor
That freaking Gland nut was not coming off easy I had no leverage to keeping the engine from rolling when I was using the Breaker bar so I made this really cool tool to help me with that problem

Now I had to make this engine stand so I didn't half to work on the floor thank God for scrap metal:)

Now I will open the case and find out were that chunk
of metal came from
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 1:46 pm

OK here's the update My case is trashed and now I know why the oil pressure dropped the sleeve that the lifter slide in was broke out ant that was the metal pieces that I found . Now I got to weight things out do I build another VW or go in replace with a water cooled engine scratch
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 3:21 pm

awe man, that sucks. Were you running a pretty big cam in that thing?

My vote is for water cooled. Most people seem to have to "baby" a big VW motor, with the water cooled, you can treat it like a red headed step child and it just comes back for more. My friends rail with the Ecotec runs at 190 degrees no matter how hard you drive it, its not much heavier than a VW, its MUCH cheaper for 150hp (stock) and just goes. He lives in Wesley Chapel if you want to meet me over there one night to take a look at it. He's building new trailing arms right now so no rides, but you can check it out.
Back to top Go down
TRIKERTROY
1600cc
1600cc
TRIKERTROY

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 6:24 pm

I was right... when I saw the pieces I was thinking it was a lifter boss.. Overreving and floating the valves can cause it.. or maybe just poor luck...
I ran a 2.0 modified Pinto engine in my `60 ragtop Baja for awhile it it ran great.. note: the new Ranger 2.3 engines have a different cam timeing set up and the valves will hit the pistons if you break a belt.. The old 2.0 didnt have the interverance. I broke a timing belt on the way to work one day,,, coasted into a Western Auto parking lot,, bought a new belt over the counter.. installed it without toos and wantnt even late for work!! (whew)
One of my trikes has the whole V6 drivetrain from a Pontiac Grand Am..3.1 with auto trans with overdrive and fuelinjection...About 150hp stock and is nice and smooth with a LOT of bottom end torque..
My choice for water cooled would be a nice 4 cylinder Honda.. Lots of hp, rpms and light weight and plenty of aftermarket parts too.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 6:52 pm

The problem with the Honda is most of the 4cylinders turn the wrong way. Any of the V6 and the newer K series 4 cylinder would work though. Honda's tend to be a bit more expensive though because there is an active group swapping them into older cars.
Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/16/2009, 12:51 pm

my vote

nissan SR20de(american) or SR20det(japan)
honda K24
honda K20
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/16/2009, 12:52 pm

shocking Wink
Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/16/2009, 1:02 pm

you didn't see that coming did ya?
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 2:47 pm

I just dropped my case off at Total Performance to get it line bored , cut for 94s and misc stuff done now I gotta wait a week and a half before I can start putting the thing back together
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 3:58 pm

If you're going to go water cooled, go turbo rotary. Lite weight and lots of power. Just don't overheat it!
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 5:58 pm

modern 4 cylinders are lighter than rotarys because they are all aluminum. Also, rotary's aren't known for torque or longetivity, two things that come in spades in a modern 4 cylinder.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/20/2009, 8:12 pm

I stand corrected. I'm an old honda guy myself. I've always been interested in the rotarys just never got into them. At least London wouldn't have a lifter prob.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/21/2009, 12:24 am

yeah, rotary's are cool, but they do have their issues. Plus, you have to fight the Puerto Rican's off of them if you find one HAHA.

London would love a rotary because you can't over-rev them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime11/21/2009, 12:35 am

High RPM's are my game I may need to open my engine 535130
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime12/2/2009, 12:42 am

Now the time a wished I had a spare Engine because the Old Town event is coming to soon
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime12/2/2009, 9:51 am

Spare engine is always a good thing in our hobby. Whats the status on the repair?
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime12/2/2009, 10:12 am

waiting on the case to get machined
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 10:43 pm

OK I have the long block mounted now ,I hope to get it running tomorrow will see Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I may need to open my engine   I may need to open my engine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I may need to open my engine
Page 1 of 1