Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
Basic Jack/tool question EmptyBasic Jack/tool question Line_b11Basic Jack/tool question Empty 
Hellafast
Basic Jack/tool question EmptyBasic Jack/tool question Line_b11Basic Jack/tool question Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Basic Jack/tool question

Go down 
+2
the-jerm
jstgtpaid
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc
jstgtpaid

Basic Jack/tool question Empty
PostSubject: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 4:42 pm

My current jack is a small one, but is fine for the brakes and such that I have been working on. However, I believe I need a bigger one for when I take out the engine or tranny.

Any recommendations for a good jack? What should I be looking for as far as lift height and such?

Also, I notice in the bug video that Mr. Higgons uses an engine trolley. Does one need that? Does it make working on the engine much easier? Does one need an engine stand?
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 5:18 pm

I purchased a low profile jack from harbor freight. Works great. Having a lowered bug can be dificult with a standard jack.

Though be it nice, a dolley is not necessary. I use a thin sheet of plywood to slide the engine out from under the car.

A stand isn't necessary either but VERY useful. Harbor Frieght is your friend.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc
jstgtpaid

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 8:29 pm

Curse You Jerm!! I could easily go broke in that store. Yum yum, like a kid in a candy store...

They had a nice jack for sale for 59 bucks... thanks! I also bought a cheap roller that I plan to use for my engine...
Back to top Go down
PistonPete123
1600cc
1600cc
PistonPete123

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 10:31 pm

A motorcycle jack works great for the eng. or on a lowered front end.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime5/26/2010, 9:52 am

I stole the jack from my Acura Integra before I sold it. Makes a great jack to keep in my lowered bug.

I think I bought their most expensive low-pro jack and it was about $160.00. It sure beats paying $250 for a comparible brand name.

I was looking at their moving carts for an engine cart. Just keep in mind whatever you set it on, you'll have to lift the car even higher to get it out. Thats why the plywood works so well.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 9:59 pm

I love harbor freight
Back to top Go down
Tom62
2265cc
2265cc
Tom62

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/17/2010, 10:39 pm

When you buy a Jack also buy a GOOD set of Jacks stands.

NEVER
stick any part of your body under a car that is only on a jack.

Getting killed by a car falling off a jack would ruin your day!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 1:32 am

Very true! I had an old jack stand that collapsed while holding up my Toyota Tacoma Shocked Luckily, I was not under it and it didn't actually hit the ground. It rocked side to side on the other jack stand.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 5:38 am

We had a Mechanic from TECO die that way. Working on his race car at home.....sad.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 9:57 am

It is and alot of times its something thats easily avoided.

Not to highjack the thread but what do you do at TECO?
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 11:58 pm

I work in the warehouse at 22nd and Sligh.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/21/2010, 6:17 pm

Cool. I used to be a gas plumber in Sorrysota and had to work with TECO a number of times.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/21/2010, 10:39 pm

Thats funny. Before TECO bought Peoples Gas they told you gas was the devil. But now its the greatest thing.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 1:20 pm

Alot of people are scared of natural gas. Oh the looks on their faces when they see us smoking around a gas live breached gas line Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Hellaslow
2165cc
2165cc
Hellaslow

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:00 pm

i have gas... oops wrong thread...

i use a stock honda jack to lift the bug high enough to get my bigger floor jack under it...
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 9:48 pm

I had to do that with my Z. lowwww
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic Jack/tool question   Basic Jack/tool question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basic Jack/tool question
Page 1 of 1