Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
New case or line bore? EmptyNew case or line bore? Line_b11New case or line bore? Empty 
Hellafast
New case or line bore? EmptyNew case or line bore? Line_b11New case or line bore? Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
New case or line bore? Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

New case or line bore?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

New case or line bore? Empty
PostSubject: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/1/2012, 10:37 am

So I have the original 1500sp for my 69 sitting in my garage collecting dust due to some extreme end play on the crank. Do y'all think I should scrap the idea of rebuilding it for the future or should I just use it as a core for a new engine.

I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks now, and I am still unsure. Sad
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/1/2012, 11:31 pm

Some people like to keep all #'s matching. If that's not important to you, and you want a little more power, use it as a core.

If you have another running motor in your car now, I would keep it original and rebuild the 1500sp and keep it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/2/2012, 9:42 am

break the motor down and have the thrust and line bore chances are it can be machined and be ready for a fresh rebuild. you never know until you get inside.
Back to top Go down
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/2/2012, 10:04 am

My plan is to keep it so that when the 1600dp decides to give up the ghost or starts giving me trouble, I'll swap the 1500sp back into it. I actually got a lot better mileage out of the 1500.

Do you guys know a good place to get the casework done locally? I'm in Punta Gorda, but I could bring the case wherever.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/3/2012, 9:58 am

olsens is a good place to have the case work done they are in tampa, and a member of this site.
Back to top Go down
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/3/2012, 10:22 am

Righteous! Thank you!! Smile
Back to top Go down
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/9/2012, 10:36 pm

So I got the engine tore down entirely and just as suspected, the thrust side of the case is cut into and will require a line bore and thrust cut without a doubt. It has never been done before so that is a good thing. I'll also have casesavers installed to prevent future problems while they have it...hopefully they do that too.

I'll have to get in touch with Olsens, and hopefully it will be ok and not too terribly expensive. I'm hoping to buy the rebuild kit with new rods, jugs, pistons, heads, crank, cam etc so that I can have a "like new" 1500sp to swap into Rudy on a moments notice or maybe even put the 1500 back in and then build the 1600dp up to a 1776 or higher and then couple that with a freeway flyer and find another Bug to drop it into.

Do any of you have any recommendations as to where to buy my entire assortment of rebuild parts from? Do you think I should just reuse my crank and rods and just have them gone over by Olsens?

One good thing is that at least I have plenty of time to do this.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/10/2012, 9:43 am

you can re-use the rods as they should be in good shape just replace the rod cap bearings, having the line boar done have them check your crank to make sure it is still within spec for the new mains that will be needed. they are very reasonable on there prices to have that machine work done.
Back to top Go down
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/10/2012, 10:04 am

Just for a rough idea, how much would you guess the machine work will cost? I'm just trying to figure out a budget.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/12/2012, 9:45 pm

i would guess around $200 that would be a good guess. give olsens a call they will give you the pricing.
Back to top Go down
69Deathman
1600cc
1600cc
69Deathman

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime6/15/2012, 5:16 pm

Excellent! Thank you! I'll be giving them a call soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New case or line bore?   New case or line bore? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New case or line bore?
Page 1 of 1