Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
Electrical Alternator issue EmptyElectrical Alternator issue Line_b11Electrical Alternator issue Empty 
Hellafast
Electrical Alternator issue EmptyElectrical Alternator issue Line_b11Electrical Alternator issue Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Electrical Alternator issue

Go down 
+3
MadMike
muddobber
SEEVWTV
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

Electrical Alternator issue Empty
PostSubject: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:06 pm

For some reason by battery is getting drained by something when I drive. I think it could be the alternator but I want make sure first before I drop the money on a new one. Should I run a ground from the alternator? I'm currently running one now, could that be the problem? Can alternators be fixed or is it best just to get another?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:13 pm

is the idiot light coming on when you turn the key on?
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:41 pm

No, but I think the bulb could be bad.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:47 pm

that could be your problem. the alt. is not getting excited so it doesn't know when it needs to work
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:48 pm

Once they don't charge are they done or can they be fixed?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 9:58 pm

once your light is working then you will know. do you have an amp or volt gauge in the car? that will show you as soon as you start up
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:43 pm

I had the same problem once. I didn't have a bulb in the dash for the idiot light. A lot of time and money later, that's all it was in my case.
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 11:18 pm

Knowing is always half the battle. I just talked to my dad and he was saying that the old regulator box that's under the back seat could still be pulling power from some where.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 8:36 am

Def get another bulb for the dash. I can come by thursday after work to take a look but without the light its not going to help much. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 10:47 am

That would be awesome! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 9:39 pm

You NEED a bulb for the car to charge. I will bet money the bulb is your issue.
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 12:51 am

I hope so!
Back to top Go down
panther
2443cc
2443cc
panther

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 2:16 am

Did not know that
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 8:52 am

Here's how it works. The light has two wires coming off of it. One goes to a switched source (has power when the key is on). The other side goes to the alternator.

When you turn the key on, power goes through the bulb, and grounds through the alternator. This energizes the alternator (basically wakes it up) so the alternator starts charging. So now, you have 12v going from the alternator back to the bulb. Because you have 2 power wires and no ground, the bulb goes out. This is why the "gen" light stays on after the engine is running some times. It may take a rev of over 2000 rpm's to get the alternator to energize and start producting current.

This is also why at night, with the headlights on and the radio going, you'll see the "gen" light on a little. This is showing you there is a voltage difference between the two power wires at the bulb. The alternator is putting out 12v, but the other wire, at the fuse block, is seeing less than 12v because of the headlights and stereo.

So even a straight wire from the fuse block to the alternator won't start it charging, it needs a load, such as a bulb or diode. This is why I'm sure it's the source of your problem.
Back to top Go down
panther
2443cc
2443cc
panther

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:10 am

cool
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:33 am

Thank you so much for that breakdown! I'm really hoping that's the problem. My wiring harness is in a bit of a cluster.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:35 am

I love working on vehicle electrical systems. I would love to help, but I'm working 7 days a week and going to school so I just don't have the time right now.

Feel free to post up any issues or questions you have, and I'll help online.
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:41 am

Thank you so much Dave!
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 11:02 am

Dave's the man. Glad your working and involved again. We missed your knowledge.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 1:02 pm

Got the bulb. See ya after work!
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 1:05 pm

Dude, you are awesome! What kind of beer do you drink?
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 2:17 pm

Yuengling, Newcastle, Heineken, Miller Lite . . . or anything else that contains alchohol Laughing
Back to top Go down
SEEVWTV
1600cc
1600cc
SEEVWTV

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 4:45 pm

Well, I will have something cold for you.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 5:34 pm

SEEVWTV wrote:
Once they don't charge are they done or can they be fixed?

You can take any alt or gen to Hutcherson Auto Electric
(813) 247-4365
701 S 50th St, Tampa, FL 33619
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical Alternator issue   Electrical Alternator issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electrical Alternator issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa VW :: VW Shop -Tech Help / Gearheads Wanted :: The Electrical Forum-
Jump to:  

Electrical Alternator issue BonEchobusinesscardfront
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com
Hot Tub Parts | TampaVW FaceBook