Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
Should I turbo the Baja? EmptyShould I turbo the Baja? Line_b11Should I turbo the Baja? Empty 
Hellafast
Should I turbo the Baja? EmptyShould I turbo the Baja? Line_b11Should I turbo the Baja? Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Should I turbo the Baja?

Go down 
4 posters

Turbo or Natural
Turbo the 2074
Should I turbo the Baja? Empty67%Should I turbo the Baja? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Run a big single Weber
Should I turbo the Baja? Empty0%Should I turbo the Baja? Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Run big dual Weber's
Should I turbo the Baja? Empty33%Should I turbo the Baja? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

Should I turbo the Baja? Empty
PostSubject: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 12:08 pm

I'm thinking about going turbo on the Baja project,there is a website called VWTURBOKITS.com that has a few kits that look interesting. I have always had nitrous engines so going turbo is going to be a learning experience for me. My main concern is if the previous owner was being truthful when he described the 2074 engine in the car, "The 12 to 1 compression will have to go" He said the heads were cut to increase compression,is this done by decking the heads to decrease the chamber sizes? "If so I may have a really nice set of heads for sale!" My plan is to get the heads off and ask Terry at Sundance what he thinks, and go from there,"he has had a couple of impressive turbo engines I have seen in the past" I'm not going to be racing Mustangs with this Baja and my other option would be to just go with a big single Weber, would it be able to feed the 2074? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 5:25 pm

Turbo? NO!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Twin turbo? HELL YES!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 5:27 pm

Some eye candy to help you on your quest for turbo goodness:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not all turbo but some NICE ideas Cool
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 8:15 pm

I run dual Weber's 44 on my 2165 They do a great job, I run a Edelbrock 600 on my 1915 and it as well does a great job. I haven't ran a turbo setup as of yet but I heard they kick ass . Let me know how much for the heads if u decide to sell. on my 1915 the heads where cut so it's running 9.3 to 1 .
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/16/2011, 9:11 pm

I like the set up with the bullet muffler hanging off to the side! Jerm. I really like the idea of a turbo but I will probably drive this thing to work 2 or 3 times a week and I don't know how dependable it would be. I had dual Kadron's on the rail that I sold and I would like to get the carbs away from the tires on the Baja, hence the single carb idea.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/19/2011, 10:46 am

A mild turbo system shouldn't be any less dependable than a beefed up flat four. The fact is no matter what you do, your weak point will be the aircooled vdub engine. That being said, you could go turbo Subaru engine Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
allisontech
1791cc
1791cc
allisontech

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/19/2011, 6:48 pm

I really want to stay with the air cooled engine, For now I may just use a single Weber 44 center mounted. I want to get the car back on the road ASAP. I need to get the engine apart to calculate the true compression ratio of this set up first. With a Flowmaster hooked up to the big Baja header the exhaust would flap your pant leg ten feet away,"I think it's way to high to be street driven".
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime10/24/2011, 8:07 pm

I would go no higher than 8 to 1 and a side draft weber 44 or a holly 500 with a mechanical secondary jet would work as well. The problem is you have to tune it for bottom end or top end. You have a huge fuel curve with a turbo and running lean is death to your motor (I should know). To turbo it right you need fuel injection or a secondary jet on your carb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I turbo the Baja?   Should I turbo the Baja? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I turbo the Baja?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa VW :: VW Shop -Tech Help / Gearheads Wanted :: The Forced Induction Forum.-
Jump to:  

Should I turbo the Baja? BonEchobusinesscardfront
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com
Hot Tub Parts | TampaVW FaceBook