Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
muddobber buggy build Emptymuddobber buggy build Line_b11muddobber buggy build Empty 
Hellafast
muddobber buggy build Emptymuddobber buggy build Line_b11muddobber buggy build Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

muddobber buggy build

Go down 
+5
Hellafast
Dave
U B BUGN
K1
muddobber
9 posters
AuthorMessage
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

muddobber buggy build Empty
PostSubject: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 9:59 pm

well here we go with a total from scratch build with a deadline of bug jam. thanks for all your help daryl and roddy for getting me to a rolling frame. big thank you to Mr. I R welder aka hellafast for the welding skills.a special thanks to brian for the assist with the notching. now lets get you up to speed on where i started and where i am now.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][IMG][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]20vw/001.jpg[/IMG][IMG][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]20vw/007.jpg[/IMG][IMG][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]20vw/008.jpg[/IMG][IMG][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 10:17 pm

Lookin good Smile Can't wait to see it painted occasion
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 11:55 pm

Dang............You'll be jumpin' curbs in no time. That looks sweet, great job!
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 7:05 pm

Man that thing is long. What's the wheelbase on it?

Any plans to take it off-road?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 10:05 pm

yes it will go OFF ROAD!!! i earned my name and i will show you that i will keep it. i am normally the first one in a mud hole I AIN'T SCARED!!! funny thing no i haven't measured the wheel base yet but i will.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 10:09 pm

It's a great looking buggy man. The long buggies do awesome on the pipeline (wide long straight "road" in ocala, if you have the suspension for it, 100mph is cool). I was riding in a friends last weekend, it's 125" wheel base, and it was great on the open fast stuff. It was a bit tight on the very narrow trails you run into sometimes, but not impossible, just lots of 3 point turns.

I'll be done with the first round of school in December, and if I can get a job soon after that, I'll be ordering tubing to start on our 4 seater.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 9:13 am

Its impressive up close.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 9:56 am

UP CLOSE.........Sh!t, I'm in Venice and it's impressive from here.
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 10:01 am

I'm not trying to tell you how to build your buggy, but I'd consider putting an "X" brace in front of the windshield in that big open area. With the speeds we're going these days, the tubing isn't quite as strong as you'd think.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 10:20 pm

let me try to answer some questions or comment on some of the ideas.first of all the frame is not complete or in other words ready for paint there are some braces and brackets still needed in areas that I want. this frame is set up for me and my OFF ROAD driving style and will be capable of speeds over 100 and be able to turn, maybe not all that great but that is why we use disc brakes and a turning brake. maybe in pictures the front end appears very open and in need of an X-brace. not the case so i opt not to put an X-brace in there. with the design and type of tubing that was used i will not have any problem having my family in it blasting down the road or trails. thanks for the input and concerns i do appreciate it. as i get more done i will post up. thanks kevin
Back to top Go down
Tom62
2265cc
2265cc
Tom62

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 12:45 am

Looking GOOD!!
Looks big enough for even me to fit into it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 10:07 pm

Tom there is pleanty of room up front even for you, maybe even in the back. i fit in the back comfortably!
Back to top Go down
Dave
2265cc
2265cc
Dave

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 10:08 pm

Kevin what tubing did you use for the buggy?
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/15/2011, 9:57 pm

Very nice job Kevin! Cool
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/15/2011, 11:39 pm

thanks it is amazing what you can build with the parts that you have laying around lol
Back to top Go down
rednecks813
1600cc
1600cc
rednecks813

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 2:34 pm

its a real nice buggy kevin? looks great ! what color are you painting the rail i see your back tries are camber out at the top how did you get that tow out ? i put a exter bar for the pedels im useing a set of clusters from a 69 c10 clutch & brake pedels ? i was thinking be for i mount my sets and peddels can i have a right side stering rail is it ilgeal ?

you were right it stoped flooding runs good had a hard time ajucting the carb bent the screw driver like you said still tight
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 9:13 pm

i have sen a few right hand drive rails and i think they are bad azz! glad i could help you know i am just a phone call away. the rail will be painted Ruby Red. it is a bright red with a very fine gold flake.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/18/2011, 12:01 am

You are almost done......You are entering the final stages now...LOOKING STRONG.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/18/2011, 9:14 am

no still not read for paint yet. today i will have all the floor tabs in and try some ideas for the rear shock mounts. thanks for the motivation though.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/20/2011, 5:31 pm

I don't think mounting your pedals on plywood is a good idea Laughing

Looks great man! I look forward to experiencing your madman like driving.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime9/25/2011, 9:56 pm

ok jerm i have the pedals mounted now no more plywood. thanks for a fresh set of eyes brian, we have come up with a rear shock mount that i can live with. shift box,shift rod and shifter are now mounted. btw 126" wheel base very close to the number i was looking for.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 9:54 pm

most of the floor tabs are welded in now along with the rear shock mount. things are coming along but not fast enough. i doubt that i will have it finished for bug jam.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 12:03 am

I think you will have it ready for Bug Jam Smile I'm rooting for ya
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 9:36 am

just a quick up date. i am now under the cannon not gun to finish, bug jam is this weekend and i am in primer now and today i will be shooting paint wish me luck as i will only have 3 days to finish this build. off to through some color later!!!!!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 10:22 am

I have faith in ya! Now get to work!
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 6:18 pm

You can do it Kevin!
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 7:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 8:13 pm

Careful K1, he might like that.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 11:21 pm

the bottom of the frame has color on it now, will flip it in the morning to paint the rest. i have 2 heaters 2 flood lamps and shop lights on for heat. i can only work as fast as the paint dries lol
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/9/2011, 11:26 pm

the paint is very bright red and i think the paint supplier used silver flake instead of gold but that is ok i will get used to that. it is looking nice and shiny now, what a change form the dull surface rust color!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/10/2011, 9:53 am

The silver will look awesome! Don't post pics. You don't have time. Hell, you shouldn't even be posting updates right now! Your next update should read,"Bug Jam kicked ass. I'm glad I got my rail done!" Laughing
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/19/2011, 8:57 am

well i didn't finish for the bug jam Crying or Very sad . but i will have it finished this weekend just in time to do some shake down runs and then polish up. i will be showing it at a car show on Dec 10 at gator ford.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/19/2011, 8:59 am

sorry no pics until then. but you will need sun glasses to look at it. consider yourself warned
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/19/2011, 10:43 am

What about Jingle Bugs Rock? That's the 4th. You still planning on hitting that?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/20/2011, 9:47 am

yes sorry a thought jingle bugs was later than that.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/20/2011, 12:22 pm

PICS! PICS!
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/23/2011, 7:53 am

sorry no pics until it is complete
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 8:42 am

the rail is finished and has been driven. totally pleased with the outcome and this thing really gets with it. no doubts about the motor even with 4 people in it i was able to get the front tires off the ground while in the ditch in front of my house. oh what a feeling Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 10:37 am

That is awesome !!!!! Congrats occasion Brig it over and I will show you the sand box Smile
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 2:24 pm

I'll be up there Saturday.,,,,Maybe a ride?????
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 2:53 pm

Very cool! I'm glad you finished it!
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:56 am

we road in to town and had lunch when we arrived we noticed a lot of oil dripping got it home and found the problem. going to take it out for a nice long cruise today with a few folks to make sure we are ready for the ride to orlando for jingle bugs.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/27/2011, 1:40 am

What was the prob?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/27/2011, 8:59 am

the oil cooler adaptor did not seal so i installed another and after a nice cruise with other buggies it started leaking there again so i will try with a different adaptor to see if this one works. other than that this thing is running VERY strong.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime11/29/2011, 9:07 am

You will get it. No doubt.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/29/2012, 12:24 pm

oil leak turned out to be a cracked case Sad . so we are down for a while until a new super case is in hand. will post pics as soon as i can find the camera again.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
the-jerm

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/29/2012, 12:26 pm

Sounds like a job for JB Weld! At least you finally found the prob.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime1/29/2012, 8:27 pm

Crack kills.... I'm sure you will have it in Rehab then it will be ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: muddobber buggy build   muddobber buggy build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

muddobber buggy build
Page 1 of 1