Tampa VW

HomeLatest imagesPortalRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1
It never ends - Page 2 EmptyIt never ends - Page 2 Line_b11It never ends - Page 2 Empty 
Hellafast
It never ends - Page 2 EmptyIt never ends - Page 2 Line_b11It never ends - Page 2 Empty 
MadMike
U B BUGN
the-jerm
baja69
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Chris P.
Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

It never ends

Go down 
+14
K1
U B BUGN
Stevo
herc1999
Chris P.
the-jerm
Beetle Juice
Dave
Bob
muddobber
Stuka
panther
Tom62
Hellafast
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

It never ends - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 8:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

One could reason the more crap you put on your car the more issues you have. I have A LOT of crap on my car. LOL. Where do I start. I have noticed my car wasn't running real good lately. Jerry made the comment at the Country Market that It didn't like to idle, and he was right. I spent all day at my buddies house wrenching on this thing only to find out I was only running 3/4 throttle. Some how the throttle cable slipped and being the TPS is calibrated on a wide open throttle, the cars ECU was trying to compensate a bad air/fuel mix but it was getting bad readings.
We messed with it most of the day to find a torn intake gasket...so one cylinder was either lean or rich depending on if its on boost or not. So tomorrow its off to NAPA for some gasket material.
On a good note. We installed a pair of 8000k HID head lights (very cool). The front sway bar was next and after some grinding on the lower control arm it seemed to clear good enough. My car has the turning radius of a school bus due to the wider rims and tires I have up front. After that we installed a new cylinder head temp gauge. Its a custom one made using a VDO cylinder head temp gauge then I took off the face and a buddy of mine that dose wraps for boats made me an AutoMeter face plate to go over it! Bling!! A one of a kind gauge....SWEET.
All in all aside from the air?fuel issues, it was a productive day in the garage.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Chris P.
2387cc
2387cc
Chris P.

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 12:21 am

Wow I can't see how such a wellknown co. like C B proformance shop can take a chance w/ parts and customers. I also think if you spend $1 there you should be well taken care of it is called customer service.
Back to top Go down
Stuka
Stuka

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 7:16 am

Sorry to hear that Rob. CB Performance just doesn't understand customer relations and word of mouth advertising at all. That picture of the mangled valve is a powerful image
that should be posted on all the VW sites.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 8:23 am

And so it shall my friend.
Back to top Go down
herc1999
2265cc
2265cc
herc1999

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 10:02 pm

WOW Rob sorry to hear that! I agree with service after the sale like that they wont get a penny of my money!
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 11:03 pm

After spending most of the day thinking about it I have decided to cut off my nose to spite my face. It would cost me less to buy another head from CB, but I can't bring myself to do it. I called SCAT and talked to them and that's the direction I'm going to head in now. They sell retail to the public, but wholesale to dealers. Sat I'm going to Sundance and if I'm going to pay retail anyway I would rather support them locally.
Back to top Go down
Stuka
Stuka

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 7:19 am

Rob,
It looks like those are valve inserts that are pressed in place and then machined for the valve being installed. (IE Head Savers) I would think a good machine shop would be able
to fab a replacement and press it place. Try logging on to Volksrods.com and see if anyone there does head work. BTW, I am very happy with my Scat built 1915! Smile
Back to top Go down
panther
2443cc
2443cc
panther

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 10:05 am

Even though its more costly i would do the same thing...
They would never see any of my money again
Back to top Go down
Stevo
1915cc
1915cc
Stevo

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:33 pm

Wow this entire situation stinks so bad!

We should all gang up and go there to demonstrate in front of their buildings!

I/'m sure in the long run it's gonna cost them more then just replacing Rob's head!

I will do whatever I can to spread the word of C.B. Customer Service (or lack off).

All of europe will know of this (and I know a lot of VW folks in europe)

Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 10:00 pm

Thank you you all for supporting me on this.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 10:25 pm

That is terrible. Let me tell you something, I don't believe this is a CB thing (obviously for you it is) but I honestly believe this is a common way of doing business these days. I will also say, I was going to go with CB on the entire front end of my '57, which clearly will not happen now. Back to my original thought, I built the 76 Vert, in my garage with Lisa. When I say almost every time I made an order, stuff came in wrong, I am not exaggerating. I had more screaming matches with these morons than I can remember (rarely even got an I'm sorry) This was CIP1, JBugs, JB Bugs, Moore Parts and MidAmerica. The worst of all was BFY Obsolete Parts, (I believe they were run out of business) I unfortunately have been on the B.S. end of these transactions, and these clowns do hide behind their phones and simply do not stand behind their products. I think sometimes they forget that there is a big fellowship of aircooled owners, and even bigger events (Bug Jam) where this can be passed along quite easily. Anyway, this pisses me off, because I really wanted to see that thing back on the road sooner rather than later. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 10:32 pm

Oh it will be. I'm going to Sundance tomorrow and ordering all my parts. Couple three weeks later she will be back.
Back to top Go down
panther
2443cc
2443cc
panther

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 2:26 am

Good for you
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 8:14 am

when the parts come in you know i am ready to jump in with both hands and feet. lets get this beast back up and running.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 7:10 pm

Here is what we got. SCAT Wedge port heads with a LBC 1 cam. I never liked the cam set up CB did for me. I had tons of power at 3500 rpm to 7000 rpm but it wasn't good off the line and didn't have the mid range power I thought it should have. I want a better running car this time not a top fuel dragster. This is a milder cam that will come on quicker and idle better. I can run 1.1 rockers not the crazy 1.3 I did before. I'm shooting for a more reliable power plant this time that's still HELLAFAST !
Back to top Go down
Chris P.
2387cc
2387cc
Chris P.

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 8:34 pm

I hope to see you at bug jam and good luck with the head job.
I hope it works out.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 9:26 pm

You will.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/23/2010, 2:11 pm

Terry from Sundance just called me and my heads are in. NOW THAT'S SERVICE.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/23/2010, 2:34 pm

Like Rick Scott says.................Lets get to WORK!
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/23/2010, 10:59 pm

Still have to wait for my new cam and lifters to come in. Should be two weeks then it's on.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/24/2010, 2:40 pm

Well I got my new SCAT heads and all I can say it WOW. What I am saying now is not because I feel as tho CB screwed me, but simply a true observation backed up by photos.

Last edited by Hellafast on 10/15/2010, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/24/2010, 5:10 pm

Good Casting VS Bad Casting. You'll probably run a hell of a lot cooler now , as well. A lot of these companies get too big for their current operation, all they see is dollar signs (So Quality Control goes out the window) I seent it with my own two eyes. An example is Quantum fishing reels. They were PERFECT, but then started filling orders for Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's, Academy Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Wal-Mart and everyone else. Huge sales, Huge Profits= No QC. Products went into the crapper, until people started speaking up. Now it's fixed. I hope CB takes a better approach at this, or they will go by the wayside. Good luck with the new heads.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Trust me, I know............P.S. Anyone want to FISH?
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/24/2010, 10:58 pm

what a difference!!! i have adjusted the wish list for my next motor build to include a set of SCAT heads and scratched off CB, and after all of this mess that you have gone through i know that i WILL NOT use any of CB's products
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/5/2010, 9:45 pm

They shipped my new cam and lifters Friday. Should be putting the beast back together on Sunday....I'm so excited. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/6/2010, 10:02 pm

Parts are in. Time to Get after it. Taking Fri off work to get it started.
Back to top Go down
Stuka
Stuka

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 7:27 am

I went with the SCAT Mini D ported heads (40x37.5) & 1.25 rockers, dual springs. Cam is a C45. I know you will be happy.
Are you going with a lightened flywheel? Revs faster but feels like you are sitting in a Harley. bounce
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 8:57 am

I went with the SCAT Wedge Port heads (44x37.5) dual springs 1.1 rockers and a LBC1 turbo grind cam from Lowbugget.com. I have a 12 lb lightened flywheel in there from the start. I think this cam will give me more mid range power than I had before.
Back to top Go down
Stuka
Stuka

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 1:07 pm

Sounds like a good combination, I would like a check ride when it's finished Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 9:36 pm

Done my friend.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/9/2010, 7:20 pm

Well let me say wrenches were flying today. With Loftin holding my hand I was able to tear my long block down and put it all back together up to the jugs. It was so cool working with a VW trained mechanic. He had all these funky tools he had made to make the job easier. Tomorrow we finish it up and Monday it goes back in the car.

Last edited by Hellafast on 10/15/2010, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/9/2010, 11:59 pm

very cool tools it gives me some ideas. i sure wish i could keep my shop that clean lol
Back to top Go down
herc1999
2265cc
2265cc
herc1999

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 8:56 am

LOL you cant keep your shop that clean. My car keeps dropping crap everywhere... We clean it up and it dropps more crap. LOL Rob glad to hear that is is coming back together for you! Hows the bus coming?
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 10:09 am

I'm getting parts now. I have received all the brakes and the IRS kit along with the pop out windows. Now I need the metal ( at Bug Jam ) some new trim and some interior parts. Then I'll be ready to chop, cut and rebuild.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 9:11 pm

Got the long block together except the push rods. Going to Sundance tomorrow. Any one need anything?

Last edited by Hellafast on 10/15/2010, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 10:59 pm

Looking Sweet.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 12:40 am

looks real good rob and the toys he makes are awsome i deffinetly need to make a trip up to see his shop
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 10:07 am

Got the long block together except the push rods. Going to Sundance tomorrow. Any one need anything?

Rob,
What time are you heading over there? I just spoke with them and I'm going today as well. Give me a call (941) 809-9806......If you want.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 11:01 pm

Sorry, I didn't check my post before I went there at 3:00 today. Then I had to go to Fishers as well to get everything. Its done and back at home. After the picnic on Sat it goes back in.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 11:08 pm

That's Cool, I saw you at both places. That was me!
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 11:14 pm

Im sorry It didn't register that was you. I was in a blur trying to get everything and get back to Loftin's house to finish tonight. He goes SCCA racing this weekend so tonight was the last night he could help me.
Back to top Go down
Stuka
Stuka

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 7:31 am

Man, those heads shore are purty! Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 8:32 am

I didn't think a new set of heads needed to have the valves lapped, but he showed me why they did.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 11:39 pm

Got it all back together today. Did the break in and readjusted the rockers. Haven't taken it for a spin yet, will do that tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/16/2010, 6:54 am

back up and running that is the way we like to see it and i am sure you are happy.. can't wait to here how the test ride goes
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/16/2010, 10:15 am

Apparently you don't like to see things sit at a standstill either. Thats cool that it's up and going again. cheers
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2010, 11:16 pm

Well took it for a test run up the road and back and let me say Hellafast is Hellafaster. I can't believe the difference changing out the CB heads and CB cam made. The SCAT heads and Lowbugget.com cam (LBC1) brought my engine to life. I now have the bottom end and mid range power I lacked before. As a matter fact I now have so much more torque my clutch is slipping at full boost (and I have a Kennedy stage 2 clutch) This thing is unreal now. I'm a happy camper now.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
U B BUGN

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2010, 11:23 pm

That sounds awesome. Now, lets try to keep it in one piece until BugJam (at least). Hey, are you going to Zephyrhills this Saturday?
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/19/2010, 11:43 pm

Yes I am. The thing is when you build a hot-rod it truly never ends. There is always something. I just got the parts for Type 4 2490 cc motor. Now THAT would be the shit in my bug with about 20 lbs of boost and 450 hp. Its scary now.
Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hellafast

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 12:51 am

Next Chapter.
For those of you that were at Bug Jam and watched my car implode, I have an update as to what it was. For some reason my intake gaskets (both sides) blew out.My turbo must be hell on them. Took me awhile to find it but find them I did. I now have even thicker and stronger gaskets in there, so we will see....lol. I now carry a spare set.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin
K1

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 10:20 am

use Hi-Temp orange silicone next time
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc
muddobber

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 2:50 pm

or just figure out what will hold up to all of the additives in fuel now days! they eat up every thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It never ends   It never ends - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It never ends
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa VW :: VW Shop -Tech Help / Gearheads Wanted :: Wrenching Section-
Jump to:  

It never ends - Page 2 BonEchobusinesscardfront
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com