Tampa VW

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1

Hellafast

MadMike

U B BUGN

the-jerm

baja69

muddobber

Stuka

panther

Chris P.

Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Share | 

My '59 Sled Activities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: My '59 Sled Activities   5/8/2010, 6:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

I plan to do some major work on this VW next spring or so. For now, I am getting to know the bug and mechanical stuff in general. Last week, I changed the oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs and adjusted the valves. Oh, and I did some other little tweaks to... I adjusted the steering because it was way too tight, and I fixed the hood latch. This week, I swapped out a door handle on the driver side. I didn't have the key to the old one and it was looking rather ratty anyway, so I changed it. It was a snap.

I took the kids for a ride and we went to fischer buggies. I started yapping about the engine with Tony and before you know it I had some new parts. After finishing our little tour of fischer and also going for ice cream with the kids, I went home and installed the new goodies... Here are some pics...

Before the trip...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
New Handle...
Engine with Old Filter
Engine with New Filter

Anyway, just having fun with it...
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/3/2011, 1:23 pm

I ended up putting the dash and gas lights on the 58 switch cuz' my reostat is broke in my switch. It is just much easier that way.

I need to pick up a couple of bulbs to be sure that I don't have any bulb issues.

The headliner is going in easy. Man, I might have that whipped out today.

Anyway, things are humming along nicely... still have some minor electric issues, but with with a tester and some new bulbs I think that I will have 'er wrapped up soon...

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/3/2011, 3:46 pm

Glad to hear its coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it finished!
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/4/2011, 10:46 pm

Nice work, looks like you're putting in the time to get it done right.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/5/2011, 1:00 am

I got most of the electrical issues resolved. Still need to the get the horn and license plate light working. Everything else seems fine. Dash lights are dim, so I may do something different with them.

Headliner is troublesome and not perfect. Ran into a few 'and then something magic happens' moments that are skipped in the jbug interior vid. But I plan to have it wrapped up tomorrow. If I do those windows are going in right away! Smile

Thats all the news thats fit to print... Smile

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/5/2011, 1:23 pm

Good luck with that horn issue. Let me know what you find.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/6/2011, 6:05 pm

LOL... I am taking my time, but with my first headliner I must say I am not impressed. There are a lot of 'then something magic happens' moments in the jbugs interior video. But I have muddled through it. I only have the two strips left for the headliner then I am done.

Next time, I think I will pay someone to do it... Smile

The dash lights are dim, I wish they were brighter. Not sure how to make 'em brighter either.

In any case, I will slap these last two pieces of headliner in then get the windows back in.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/6/2011, 6:44 pm

About the dash lights, you do know that turning the headlight knob adjusts the brightness of the light, right?
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/7/2011, 2:13 am

lol... yeah, I know that part. I think by putting my lights on switch 58 it bypasses the rheostat right? I thought it did, but could be wrong. Plus I got LEDs which I thought weren't dimable friendly.

Too tired to think about the options right now. I hope to get some time this weekend to tinker with it.

I did finish the headliner and put the windows in. Smile I just have a few electrical issues and I should be good....

Any suggestions for the interior light? I bought one from Jbugs and it's a flimsy piece of junk. IMHO.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/11/2011, 5:43 pm

By interior light you mean dome light? I have never seen mine work so I can't be of much help. I've seen some people install a factory one on the passenger side to mirror the stock driver's side and am considering doing the same. Let me know what you end up doing!
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/14/2011, 11:59 am

Yeah I was talking about the interior light in the headliner/door post. It is really flimsy. I can get mine to turn on occasionally, but it is so flimsy there is nothing reliable about it.

oh well... Its one of those things I will tinker with then and maybe find a better solution...
Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   5/15/2011, 9:13 am

make sure that it is getting a good ground. the ground tab is part of the light make sure that the headliner is cleared for contact or even paint
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   8/13/2011, 11:13 pm

I am finally coming full circle to some of the original issues. I have the stuff needed now to put a steering dampener in and also get the shocks up front switched out. I don't know that I will complete that task this weekend, but I got the stuff for it.

We shall see...
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/1/2011, 8:56 pm

Well I have a project for this weekend. Got my disc brakes in, so I will replace the beam, brakes, spindles, all that stuff.

Thanks, Ron for the link to the brakes! The folks at actionimport were great to deal with and the price was the best around...

Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/1/2011, 10:08 pm

Sweet. Those will make a big difference, but I would seriously think about some braided lines.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/2/2011, 2:11 pm

LOL, my only concern about this project is finding safe places to put the jack stands. This rust bucket is so riddled with rust I think i am going to purchase some more stands to put in various places to ensure it is solid.

Obviously the beam mount is solid but I am concerned that it is not wide enough and would make things unstable, so I want to put something near the front frame mount so that I also have a wider secure stance in addition to the beam mount position.

I won't be doing anything until I am certain that it is safe and secure.

On a side note, I think I will go get a dual cylinder brake master too. I recall Ron stated I would need one now. I think it would be safer anyway if I did. I may also take the gas tank out and put a valve on the bottom, I seem to recall Dave stating that he had done that at one point and it would make gas related work easier.

Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/2/2011, 10:04 pm

Good advice
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/2/2011, 11:26 pm

Well, I got almost everything disassembled. I can't seem to get the king pins out. One of the king pin assemblies is hard to move the other moves freely; neither king pin wants to come out.

The axle beam looked different from what I expected, the bump stops in between the torsion arms were missing and in the middle of the beam there was some stuff welded on.

Not sure what to do about the king pins. I am assuming I could take 'em to a VW shop and have them taken out and new ones pressed in with the new spindles. Who knows. Tomorrow is another day. Smile
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/4/2011, 2:32 pm

Bump stops were removed cuz they get in the way when its lowered.
The things in the center are adjusters.
You definitely need a dual circuit mc if you're running disc brakes.
The valve on the bottom of the tank is VERY useful! I suggest the factory reserve valve for the '59. You can get them at Sundance. They can also do the link / king pins for ya.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/14/2011, 12:52 am

Dis-assembly was fun, but filthy. This car just seems like it was dipped in oil, then dipped in dirt and left to bake. LOL, but it was great therapy being in the garage just thinkin' and tinkerin'.

I have a new set of king and link pins, and a new lower torsion arm. The new torsion arm was a very tight fit for the link pin.

I examined my steering box. Like everything else it was caked in grease. Before I pulled it out, it was so filthy I was certain that it was leaking. However, it appears to be fine. I cleaned that rascal up, put some more gear oil in there and I will put it back in soon.

I have all new tie rods and a steering dampener. I will be putting those in soon as well. I mounted the axle beam back on the car.

I am going to clean up the frame head, get the brake master and new cables in next. I might finish it up this weekend, who knows. I really want to get a valve on that tank before I put it back in when I am done.

Anyway, that is all that is fit to print. I hope to get some pics up soon.
Back to top Go down
ohana59single
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/14/2011, 9:20 am

Good luck/skill. Looking forward to pics.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/15/2011, 2:10 am

Played around with my soda blaster today and blasted off some grime and rust from the frame head. I immediately cleaned it up and primed it. Definitely need to get a air dryer for my setup. But it was fun.

Got the steering box mounted on the axle and started to get that all lined up.

I picked up my gas gauge from Fischer buggies and also picked up some bolts i needed. Got the other shock installed.

One thing concerns me though. The old left tie rod (the big one) was bent. The new one looks like it has no clearance over the the frame head. How much clearance should the tie rod have over the frame head?

Here are the latest pics...

My big concern now... clearance...
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/15/2011, 11:48 am

That tie rod should be straight and will have very little clearance when installed. Keep in mind you're looking at the suspension fully extended which brings the rod closer to the frame. There will be more when she's on the ground. The length of that rod makes it the weaker of the two (ask me how I know Laughing ) and, by the looks of it, was straightened by the PO which is a bit sketchy.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/15/2011, 6:10 pm

LOL... There is so much sketchy cover up stuff I could write a book. But all I can do now is fix it and move on... Smile I am glad to hear that there is little clearance, because that is what I got.

I will keep on rolling then... thanks for the information.

Back to top Go down
muddobber
2498cc
2498cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/15/2011, 11:37 pm

i would suggest a dual circuit master cyl also. they have a res. that mounts directly on top. that is what i have in my 60. works great and i can retain the og res in the stock location and nobody knows.
Back to top Go down
U B BUGN
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/18/2011, 12:07 am

Great Job. I am still plugging along, as well. FUN, FUN, Fun!
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/18/2011, 3:14 am

I have finally run into something...

remember the bent old tie rod? Well I was just giving the full range tie rod motion test and noticed that as I extend the range to the right (drivers side as if taking a right turn) the tie run runs out of room and pops up off the spindle as it hits the frame head. I think my PO (i'm guessing superman? bent the tie rod and went on his merry way) I don't want to do that. What options do I have for full range of movement?

I have tried moving the steering box up and down, but that range is limited by the steering column tube. So after a few tweaks I am stumped. What options to I have available?

I got my brake master cylinder in. I opted for the rest on top reservoir. Didn't make sense, to me, to have one reservoir to fill the two cylinders, that does make it any safer. In any case.

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/20/2011, 5:21 pm

scratch It doesn't look like its missing by much. I noticed its still on stands. Try it with the tire on and it sitting on the ground.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/22/2011, 12:31 am

A few questions... The instructions for putting on the disc brakes are sparse... So here goes...

There is a slight gap between the rotor and the spindle frame. It seems to me that it should be there, but I thought I should ask just to be certain. see pic...

The EMPI instructions state "Install the new rotor on the spindle using the existing thrust washer and adjuster nuts" The old nuts don't fit on the new spindle and the kit came with a thrust washer and a nut that fits on the spindle. Is this correct as I set it up?

I test fit the caliper and it seems to mount fine on the rotor, however, how the hay do I get the pads in the caliper? The pads seem to be too thick.

Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/23/2011, 7:57 pm

Make sure the caliper is FULLY retracted. IF its not use a c clamp or a big set of channel locks to push it back in. The pads should fit fine then.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/25/2011, 1:55 pm

Thanks! I finally figured that one out... Down to the last few steps now... I have to bleed the brakes, put on one bolt to the steering column clamp and put the gas tank back in.

I emptied and cleaned out the gas tank. There was some nasty gunk in the bottom of the tank (probably rust) that I removed.

The car looks much lower now...

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 8:36 am

How's the clearance on that tie rod?
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 10:32 am

You were right, it seems fine now that I have the wheels on. Thanks for asking!

I am working on bleeding the brakes now. I seem to have a ton of air in the lines and my brakes just go to the floor with minimal resistance. i tried a pneumatic bleeding system and it doesn't seem to work as well as manually doing it with two people. So I will do it the old fashioned way when I get a few spare minutes... Smile

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 1:00 pm

I had a major issue with getting my brakes to bleed after I installed my dual circuit MC. After many nights of cussing, kicking, throwing things (you get the idea), I finally found the solution to be simple. The brake fluid res cap should have a very small hole in it to allow the fluid to fill the MC. Think of it as putting your finger over a straw. Releasing your finger allows your drink to fall out of the straw. The third world country that produced your cap didn't make sure that hole was open (shocker, huh?). This is easily resolved by simply opening the hole with an all or VERY SMALL drill bit. Hope this helps!

I was showed the "one man brake bleeding kit" by the semi wise and partially knowing UBBUGGN. Its available at any auto supply and is cheap. Great little tool to have!
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 3:59 pm

I would never have thought of that, so I am glad you brought that one up. I checked the lid on this silly cap and it looks like they improved their QA. It does have a hole all the way through.

Even if it didn't the pneumatic tool I was using has a large reservoir that sits in the filler opening. It automagickally refilsl the mc reservoir when fluid gets low. That large reservoir leaves a wide hole for breathing.

I am curious though, with a dual MC, does it matter whether I bleed the front first or last? I did it like I normally do rear right, rear left, front right, front left. But I would think with a dual MC, that I could do fronts first front right, then front left. Or am I wrong on that one?

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 4:12 pm

The way you're doing it is correct. Did you bench bleed the MC prior to install?
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 4:17 pm

Don't know what bench bleed is...
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 4:27 pm

Ok, so I was told to "bench bleed" before installing the MC. Not sure if its necessary or not but I did it and mines working. Pretty much, you run lines from the outlets on the MC back to the inlet of the res. Fill the res up partially making sure the lines going in it terminate in the fluid. Once thats done, pump the MC until the fluid flows out of the lines without air. This bleeds the air out of the MC making your life much easier when you bleed the entire system. I believe you can still bleed the system without bench bleeding the MC. Its just going to take longer. Trust me, get that one man bleeder thingy I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/27/2011, 10:21 pm

ok... done with the brakes, got the gas tank back in, put in a gas gauge. Took it for a tiny test run. The tires rub. I was hoping they wouldn't but they do.

I am thinking that some low profiles should be enough. I don't want to have to use a shortened beam and do this all over again. Smile

I will post pics tomorrow when I get some pictures in the light.

Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/28/2011, 4:38 pm

Glad to hear you got it! That test drive always justifies the frustration you just went through. What series tire are you running?
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/28/2011, 5:08 pm

165/80R15
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/28/2011, 5:26 pm

Much too big for a lowered front end. 165 in the rear is fine. That's what I run but in the front you probably need a 145 or 135.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/28/2011, 5:27 pm

Where does one get that size tire? Fischer sells the 145's, but 135 might be even better. Fischer doesn't mount or balance though...
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   9/28/2011, 7:03 pm

I purchased my 135's from Fisher.
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   10/9/2011, 2:33 am

I had the front end align and such at E&C. Love those guys. They do good work.

The tires didn't rub after I got the alignment done. The toe-in/out was really whacked. In any case I have a remaining issue with the brakes. My original dust caps DO NOT fit these new rotors. Do they have special ones for empi that are a different size???

Oh, and the tires didn't rub at all until I put gas in it. LOL. Since I want more than a gallon or so of gas in the car, I have some 135's on order (or actually I will do that Monday)

Anyway, what about the dust caps? Do I need to cut, bend, pound etc to get them to fit?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My '59 Sled Activities   

Back to top Go down

My '59 Sled Activities
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3