Tampa VW

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in
Just updated the members map please add yourself to it .. No need to put your home address just your city and Zip code. Please use the Key color.
Locate it in the Introduce Yourself area

If your not Logged In your not able to see EVERYTHING so LOGIN what r u waiting for Smile
Top posters
K1

Hellafast

MadMike

U B BUGN

the-jerm

baja69

muddobber

Stuka

panther

Chris P.

Latest topics
» My 69 Convertible Beetle
1/20/2015, 9:15 pm by engineerlt

» >> Post your mind <<
5/26/2014, 5:01 pm by kidr32

» Rusty floor pans
4/29/2014, 10:46 pm by DonnaSC

» Subaru swap
9/9/2013, 12:25 am by Nullifier

» Bye to a friend
6/2/2013, 2:00 pm by Stuka

» Mays Hot VW's
4/24/2013, 9:04 pm by allisontech

» Now that it's running great, I've got to change something!
3/4/2013, 7:24 am by allisontech

» Roxy's Restoration
2/16/2013, 9:26 am by allisontech

» Valve adjustment and Timming video's (Vintage VW Training Film)
1/20/2013, 8:55 pm by rosie007

» How did club members do at this years Pasco Bug jam?
1/2/2013, 7:24 pm by allisontech

April 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Like this topic? Show it by clicking the Like Button.
Facebook
Tampa Vw Net

Create Your Badge
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Share | 

Sandblasting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Sandblasting   10/11/2009, 1:32 pm

I'm wanting to get my ride sandblasted. Does anyone know of a good place? I'd do it myself, but it looks like pain.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/11/2009, 2:49 pm

Call Jerry over at Artistic powder coating they are located on 92 and County Line rd # 1-863-397-8961 they are the ones that did my rail

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Spa parts:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
How to post images [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 9:45 am

What is it you are sandblasting?
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 9:54 am

My 64 bug
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 10:33 am

Have you sandblasted a bug body before? The reason I ask is I have heard from a couple of people that sandblasting may hurt the body metal and chemical dipping (though a little more expensive) is the way to go. I am hoping to stip my bug soon. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 1:39 pm

Hey Jerm I was reading up on sand blasting, media blasting, and dipping. If you want to dip read this post that I found on dipping. Just to make sure that this does not happen to you... After reading some of thos post I think I am also going with the sand blast!

Dipping is questionable. Back years ago one of the premier painters (Porsche 356) restored a car for a customer. The customer insisted on dipping the car, neutralizing etc. The painter was amazed at how well it worked, till the day came. The car was completed, assembled and set for delivery. Being an excellent restorer he had no problems with hosing down a car and washing it like anyone would wash a car (he could also check for minor leaks). All went well and the car was beautiful. They left it out in the hot sun to dry and then it happened.
The paint started to bubble in a few places. Now he had never had this happen in any car he had restored and was baffled. Not allowing this to go unattended he pulled the doors to repair the bubbling paint and to see what caused it. The cause of the problem was even though the body had be neutralized after stripping some of the sandwiched areas must not have got the neutralizing solution in them. When he washed the card the water seeped into these areas and reactivated the stripper. Needless to say, to protect his reputation he stripped the whole car back to bare metal, split a lot of the sandwiched metal areas, neutralized and repainted the car.
From that day forward he refused to ever have a car dipped again, it was an expensive lesson.
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 10:25 pm

man that would suck... ouch that job ended up costing him money.. shawn and i just met a guy in thonotasassa that has a soda blasting rig he said he would blast stuff for a reasonable price... shawn has his # he said it wont hurt the glass or the rubber or chrome... can blast the whole car (though if im gonna go through the whole stripping process i would remove everything and just do it right)
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/12/2009, 10:50 pm

That sounds awesome! Yeah I'd strip the car down too. Thanks guys for all of your info. I'll have to get that # from ya.
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/13/2009, 9:31 am

tricksuzu wrote:
man that would suck... ouch that job ended up costing him money.. shawn and i just met a guy in thonotasassa that has a soda blasting rig he said he would blast stuff for a reasonable price... shawn has his # he said it wont hurt the glass or the rubber or chrome... can blast the whole car (though if im gonna go through the whole stripping process i would remove everything and just do it right)

Yea it did! When you get that number from Shawn can you please forward! I will need to get my bug done soon.
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/13/2009, 7:41 pm

will do
Back to top Go down
Charlie Brown
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/14/2009, 11:37 am

Me three! I have one down to a shell already and would love to get it blasted! Come clean with that number, tricksuzu! Wink
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/14/2009, 10:00 pm

the guy dose soda blasting well his friend uses his rig for him but i will get shawn to post it up lol real soon
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/14/2009, 10:10 pm

I think they are keeping this # Top Secret lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Spa parts:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/15/2009, 7:08 pm

lol no he gave shawn his # and shawn just wants to make sure its cool to post his # up before he dose
Back to top Go down
buckshot
Newbie / Rebuilding engine

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/16/2009, 12:14 am

Greetings folks,
This my first time posting this site. I am trying to build a glass street buggy. In the past I had a need to strip a 32 Ford pickup. This job was done by Dale Loder at Auto Restoration Depot in Wauchula, Florida. The phone number is 863-773-9152. I can tell you first hand he is very good, and more so "very honest". I have friends who have used him and they too have had very good results. He does not use acid in his dipping process. If anyone I come in touch with is looking for body striping I send them to Dale. Give him a call you will not be sorry. If you need any further info on his work shoot me an e mail and I will try to get you an answer.
Have Fun,
Buckshot
Ocala
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/16/2009, 9:33 am

First Welcome to the site , 2nd Thanks for the info.

Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/16/2009, 9:37 am

Awesome, Thank you Buckshot!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/16/2009, 8:58 pm

Great info. Thank you! Any idea what he would charge for a bug body?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Brown
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/17/2009, 1:03 am

the-jerm wrote:
Great info. Thank you! Any idea what he would charge for a bug body?

X2....inquiring minds want to know!
Back to top Go down
shawn813
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/23/2009, 1:05 am

Sorry It took forever. Besides working alot I also forget alot of things. The guys name is James Cooper, his number is 813-986-2514 He says he has a soda blaster.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/23/2009, 8:46 am

Thanks for the # shawn813. I'll have to give him a call.
Back to top Go down
tricksuzu
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/23/2009, 11:46 pm

awesome lol i was getting on to post lol you beat me to it hehe
Back to top Go down
buckshot

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/24/2009, 6:57 pm

Sorry, but I have no idea what he would charge for a VW. All I can say is he will do quality work and treat you properly. Give him a call. Hope this helps.
Have Fun,
Buckshot Cool
Back to top Go down
shawn813
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/29/2009, 1:01 pm

the-jerm wrote:
Have you sandblasted a bug body before? The reason I ask is I have heard from a couple of people that sandblasting may hurt the body metal and chemical dipping (though a little more expensive) is the way to go. I am hoping to stip my bug soon. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Well ,I don't know who told you that but I've sandblasted stuff and it never hurts the surface . Sandblasting is the best way to go when you cant get into tight areas with a sander.
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/29/2009, 2:25 pm

In that case, I stand corrected. I am trying to be very careful with what I do to my bug. If someone tells me it might negatively affect the outcome of the project, then i'm going to make sure they are right or wrong before I proceed. The guys I originally talked to that told me that are old american hot rod guys. It is VERY possible they don't know jack about vdubs.

Either way, I appreciate the information. I am now leaning towards sandblasting as it seems cheaper (not to mention I don't want it to end up like that Porsche Shocked)
Back to top Go down
shawn813
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   10/29/2009, 4:26 pm

I will be sandblasting my bug body in a few weeks .
Back to top Go down
Beetle Juice
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Sandblasting   12/30/2009, 7:54 pm

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but take it from a bodyman...DO NOT SANDBLAST your cars!!!!! The friction creates heat and heat will warp panels, especially large flat ones. Plus the sand gets into EVERYTHING and is difficult to get it all out. Their are many new mediums to choose from such as: plastic beads, crushed walnut shells, baking soda....to name a few. These are much better ways to strip a car and they are much less harmful to the metal as well. I recomend the baking soda. Its eco-friendly, cost efficient and wont send you to the eye doctor if you turn your defrost on and get a face full. If you have any questions about bodywork feel free to ask!
Back to top Go down
the-jerm
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   12/30/2009, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the info! I was just talking with someone about the soda blasting. He is supposed to be getting me the info on it. So, your a bodyman eh? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Buggy Bob

PostSubject: Blasting   1/1/2010, 10:25 pm

I am in the process of restoring a 69 Ghia. I am going to have it bead blasted with plastic beads. I have the car stripped down and am expecting to pay about $500. to get it done inside and out. I will let you know how it turns out and how much it ended up being.
Back to top Go down
K1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   1/2/2010, 1:01 am

Cool deal Bob can't wait to see the end results Smile

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   1/2/2010, 1:35 pm

Awesome! Who is doing it?
Back to top Go down
shawn813
1600cc
1600cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   1/6/2010, 9:39 am

K1 wrote:
Cool deal Bob can't wait to see the end results Smile

Yeah, me too .... Razz
Back to top Go down
jstgtpaid
1791cc
1791cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   6/29/2010, 12:10 pm

Sorry for the thread necro, but there were several projects that look like they were going to get started. I am very interested in guestimates for having a frame media blasted. My frame is an oily mess and would love to have it cleaned up, if the price is right...

Back to top Go down
Hellafast
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   6/29/2010, 10:08 pm

I have also heard that if the blaster doesn't get ALL the medium out of the nooks and crannies it holds moister when it gets wet and will rust in no time.
Back to top Go down
Tom62
2265cc
2265cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   6/30/2010, 2:10 pm

Sand is hard on the metal OK for rust removal and removing bondo but soda or plastic media blasting is much easier on panels and will help prevent panel warpage

Not a fan of dipping to much seepage from seams.

Aircraft stripper works if you take the time and don't rush it.
Back to top Go down
Beetle Juice
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/8/2010, 10:35 pm

Soda is the way to go!! Its no different than the baking soda you put in the fridg. It can be blown out of nooks much easier than sand because it is lighter and is not abrasive. If it gets moist it will likely just desolve.
Sand blasting is fine for stuff like suspension parts or parts that have some beef to them. Sand blasting can definately warp larger, flat panel if not done properly. But on the flip side it can be cheaper....
For all the interest I should open my media blasting shop,LOL!!!
Unfortunately being new to the area, I dont know of anyone who provides these services, sorry dontknow
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/9/2010, 11:01 am

Yea you do need to open a shop scratch

Tom you are right that aircraft is really good. That is what I used to strip that paint off of my fenders.
Back to top Go down
Beetle Juice
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/9/2010, 11:13 am

Jeweled, I'm a little confused. It looks like you have replaced the pans in those pictures. What exactly do you need sandblasted? I wish I had the money to open a shop!!
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/9/2010, 12:21 pm

I was going to get the belly done. If you look at the surrounding areas of the pans. You should see what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Beetle Juice
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/9/2010, 5:16 pm

Oh I see. Well for that you could probably sand blast it yourself. I have a mini blaster that you can use or I could do it for ya since I'm not working at the moment. Or, if the rust is just a cosmetic concern you could wire brush the loose stuff off and spray it with rust converter which nuetralizes it so it can be primed and or painted over.
Back to top Go down
Be Jeweled
2165cc
2165cc

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/12/2010, 10:54 am

Thanks for giving me something to think about... We actually wire brushed a lil area (kind of playing around) and now I have to have it done! lol
Back to top Go down
Beetle Juice
Premium Member
Premium Member

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   7/12/2010, 10:09 pm

I passed this place the other day, its between Adamo and Causeway down around 78th and they always have vintage VW in the lot. They might offer those services. I think the place was called Baggerly's? Otherwise if its the top side that gets covered with carpet I'd just wire brush it, treat it and paint with undercoating or something similar to whats already on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sandblasting   

Back to top Go down

Sandblasting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa VW :: VW Shop -Tech Help / Gearheads Wanted :: Exterior Parts, Bodywork and Paint-
Jump to:  

Free forum | Cars | Rally | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum
Hot Tub Parts | TampaVW FaceBook